MST: Bryan Park (missed section Pick up)

Back at the beginning of March I hopped to end a big weekend at Bryan Park just north of Greensboro, NC.  As I arrived to the trail system in the area I was surprised by a trail closed sign due to wildlife attacks.  Although the animal was never captured it was doomed to die of rabies so a few weeks later the trail opened back up.  Seeing an opportunity in our schedule, I decided to take off and try and knock off the remaining trails in this area.  My goal is to complete the two segments I missed prior to heading out for the finish of the trail which I think might happen early June. 

Day 39 May 2

Miles:  13 miles hiking
Weather:  Clear skies breezy, highs in the 70's
Camping:  Back home

I left the house early this morning to make the two hour drive over to Greensboro.  My hope was that the trail was just close enough to town that I  could get an Uber or Lyft to help with my shuttle.  Once in the parking lot at Bryan Park Uber didn't look so promising, it simply said no drivers available.  Lyft did a search and although it took several minutes eventually a driver agreed to the ride.  This segment of the MST follows along Lake Brandt and then Reedy Fork which connects Brandt to Lake Townsend.  It would have been a pretty muddy walk back in March but our recent lack of rain left a dry trail.  The trees are fully leafed out and the shade was a great addition to the breeze coming off the lake.

Bamboo Forest




I passed along several black snakes that scurried off into the distance and there were a few day hikers out on the trail but not as many as I would expect.  In one section I came across a fallen tree that seemed like it had not yet found its' final resting place.  I could hear parts of the tree cracking as I approached.  It was hung up on some others so I stood and watched for a little bit to see how entangled it was.  As the wind blew and other trees moved it would shift slightly but the cracking limbs between the ground and the tree were no longer making sounds.  It mostly paralleled the trail so biggest danger would be it finishing its fall and then rolling.  Seeing as the trail would not lead me under this tree my determination was it was safe to pass through and so I kept walking.  I reached Bryan Park mid-afternoon, now all I have left to pick up is from Bryan Park to Eno River State Park.


Blue-eyed grass




MST total miles completed:  877.4

Comments

Popular Posts