MST: Pisgah Inn to Asheville

For the sake of logistics I had a shorter weekend planned than what I have been doing.  With a lack of legal camping areas it would be more like two day hikes.  Based on the weather forecast that was probably a good thing, as the remnants of Hurricane Delta move into the area.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be shorter than planned.

Day 8 October 9th

Miles:  24.2
Weather:  Cloudy and windy with some light rain in the afternoon.  Highs low 70's maybe
Camping:  Warm bed in Asheville

I drove up to Asheville early this morning, parked my car at Hendersonville Rd and my father-in-law drove me up to Pisgah Inn for the start.  We arrived just as the sun was rising so we took in the view before I headed off.  I knew going in the first part of this segment would be scenic followed by a walk in the woods down into the Asheville area.  I also knew there was a lot of downhill.  The trail starts off at around 5,000' in elevation heads up to 5,200' and then drops below 3,000' within the first 11 miles with some uphill thrown in for fun.  There are several points where you come out to overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway that offer some great views.  

At one of the first of those overlooks, the Buck Springs Gap Overlook, I ended up on the wrong trail departing the parking area.  This lead me maybe 0.2 mi off course and dead ended me at the top of the Buck Springs Tunnel with a pretty good view.  I guess I'll take the view as trade off for some extra mileage.  I moved pretty slow in the morning taking time to enjoy the views and also just being careful and slower on the downhill.  Remember, I much prefer uphill hiking.  I'm thinking now maybe I should have done this section backwards.  As the morning went on I started to feel some pain in my left knee.  When I stopped for lunch I was experiencing a very familiar pain, one that stopped by AT thru-hike for a month.

If you see this view you are not on trail

The rest of my day (about 11 miles) was spent at a very slow pace on any steep gradients and a slower than usual pace on the flats.  I took some medication and spent time at every crossing of the parkway evaluating my situation.  Ultimately, my decision was to keep moving, the alternative was to make a call and get picked up early.  Although, I was constantly evaluating today's decision I had already decided at lunch I would not hike tomorrow.  That decision has remained unchanged.

What now?

Obviously I need to rest my knee, but will plan for now to continue on as scheduled.  This was the first serious downhill I've faced in a long time.  Thinking back the last time I really had any issues out on a trip was out in Portland, OR when taking a trip up Mount St. Helens.  Hiking down in the snow was painful with every step.  I've also had aches for years that recently have not bothered me, coinciding with a switch a couple of years ago to zero drop shoes.

The rests in between my hikes right now are likely just a little too long.  I think this makes it more difficult for my body to adjust given my normal weekly activity.  After a short rest if all seems well, I'm going to push myself to get up early multiple days a week and hike around town with a pack.  I did this early on but have not done so recently. Already the morning after, my knee is felling much better, which is promising.


Comments

  1. Stan, Do you have a site encompassing all your hikes? Keep walking! Turiya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts