Warm Up

Middle Falls

When I really started thinking about it, I last went backpacking in October of 2017.  It was a one night 8 mile one way to Conundrum Hot Springs in Colorado.  I've done some hiking but mostly with the kids at low mileages.  I'm about to start a big trip with some pretty big mileage requirements at times, I figured maybe I should just get out and see how my body handles things.

Snowbird Mountains

Sassafras Falls
I gathered all my gear and headed out to an area I had not backpacked in before, way down in western NC, the Snowbird Mountains.  Based on some online research I gathered that many of the trails in the central part of the area were easy to follow while those that create a loop around are less traveled.  My goal was to get miles in so I decided I would start by going into the middle on the more used trails and take them to explore a little of the areas less used.  I made it to Middle Falls the first night and set up camp just before some rain.  The next morning the clouds had cleared out for a great view of the falls while collecting water for the day.  I set off following the creek upstream of the falls and made it about 2.5 miles before I came to a crossing I just didn't like.  I had already crossed the creek multiple times so getting feet wet was not an issue but we have had a lot of rain.  This crossing seemed like a knee deep crossing at best and that was more dangerous.  Where I would have felt most comfortable likely would have been waist deep.  Remember my goal is miles, so I opted for backtracking and taking some other trails.  I made my way over to Sassafras Falls and then back out to the trailhead.  There is some great car camping spots along the road into the trailhead so I took one of those for the night.

All in all I think this is a cool area and would be fun to go to at some point when I have no goal other than to navigate, swim and explore.  The area also has some strange history as a previous owner once tried to make it a big game hunting area bringing in game from all over the world only have to have most escape or get poached.  Logging of course took hold and the main trail in the valley by the creek follows the old logging railroad in which you can still see remnants.

Appalachian Trail:  Stecoah Gap to Cheoha Bald

View from Cheoah
I woke up early the next morning and took off for the AT which was along the way home.  I parked at Stecoah Gap had some breakfast at the picnic area there and started making my way up to the ridge (full backpack, you can't slack pack a training trip).  I had some great hiking but by the time I was heading up the last mile to Cheoha my body was certainly tired.  My thoughts were mostly centered around how to change the starting plan for the MST so that I didn't have high mileage days.  Once at the top I had a quick view before clouds took over the area.  I had some lunch and watched as the view opened back up.  After a 30 min break I started my walk back down to the car.  I felt really great at that point and had no problems along the way back.  My attitude had shifted again, although I still wanted to look at a way to make the start a little more manageable mentally.  

That hike was a little over 10 miles which put me at about 30 for the weekend.  The good thing is I had some rain, some mental and physical challenges which is what I needed.  I didn't have any major gear problems, mostly I just need to get back into practice with the amount of alcohol I need to cook certain foods.  

Next Up:

It has taken me a long time to get this post up.  I did have some pain after this weekend trip but I rested a few days and then started trying to get out at least three miles a couple days a week with my pack or the youngest kid on my back (more weight than I would carry backpacking).   I've now started the MST and will have my first post on that up as soon as possible!

Comments

Popular Posts